Home » Archive by category ossnliri

Hapag-Lloyd Sets Green Targets

first_imgMoving forward with its sustainability activities, German container shipping company Hapag-Lloyd has presented ambitious green targets for the coming period.In its latest sustainability report, the company said it expects to reduce CO2 emissions per TEU kilometer by 20% by 2020 as compared with 2016 figures.“In 2018, we were once again able to reduce the fuel consumption of our global fleet through efficiency measures. We have also lowered our specific emissions,” Jörg Erdmann, Senior Director Sustainability Management, said.“This puts us on track to achieve our target of a 20 percent reduction by 2020,” Erdmann pointed out.As informed, ongoing investments in the company’s ships and the responsible use of equipment will remain Hapag-Lloyd’s major areas of focus in terms of environmental and climate protection, in line with its Strategy 2023.Another important point for the company is the International Maritime Organization’s sulphur cap 2020. This regulation, which will enter into force on January 1, 2020, will lower the cap for sulphur content in marine fuels from 3.5 percent to 0.5 percent.“The new regulation is an important step on the way to lower-emission shipping. Even though the switch to low-sulphur fuels will entail significant costs, we are convinced that this directive is necessary,” Erdmann added.“We are prepared, as our fleet will operate using compliant fuels by January 1, 2020. In addition, we are testing other options, and Hapag-Lloyd will be the first shipping company to convert a large container ship to climate-friendly liquefied natural gas.”For this year’s sustainability report, Hapag-Lloyd incorporated the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations for the first time. The SDGs consider all three dimensions of sustainability – the economy, the environment and social commitment – and help companies to design their business processes to be sustainable over the long term.Hapag-Lloyd currently has a fleet of 227 vessels which transport approximately 12 million containers per year.last_img read more

Continue reading

Dominica seeks to improve survival rate during road accidents.

first_img Share Dr. Paul Ricketts. (file photo)Dominica is looking to improve its survival rate during road accidents.Chairman of the Violence and Injury Surveillance System Committee Dr. Paul Ricketts says improvement in the availability of emergency staff at the Princess Margaret Hospital is among matters on a draft safety strategy to be sent to Cabinet for consideration. He was addressing the launch of local activities on the Decade of Action on Road Safety at the Arawak House of Culture on Friday last week.“The second broad objective is to improve the crash to theater time for seriously injured individuals requiring surgical intervention. Here we recognize that we need to make some adjustments to how we manage our patients so as to improve the survival rate, bearing in mind that the people who are dying are young and productive individuals,” he said.According to Dr. Ricketts, government will seek to improve the availability of emergency staff at the hospital to get patients to theatre at a much shorter time.“The next step is to finalize and present this draft safety strategy to Cabinet for its consideration and hopeful approval and continue to encourage all government departments, civil society and the private sector to conduct activities geared at improving road safety,” he said.Meantime, Dr. Ricketts says if the Cabinet approves the draft safety strategy, all vehicles entering the country must meet the minimum safety standards. Dominica has so far recorded six road fatalities for this year. Meantime, Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Advisor on Violence and Injuries Dr. Tomo Kanda says PAHO will continue to provide technical support to national road safety initiatives.She says a multidisciplinary approach is essential to the success of road safety practices. Statistics indicate that road traffic accident is the leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24. Dominica Vibes News Share LocalNews Dominica seeks to improve survival rate during road accidents. by: – September 26, 2011 Sharecenter_img 58 Views   one comment Tweet Sharing is caring!last_img read more

Continue reading

Cincinnati man charged following police pursuit, crash

first_imgBright, In. — A warrant has been issued for a Cincinnati man by Dearborn/Ohio County prosecutor Lynn Deddens following a pursuit involving a motorcycle that reached speeds of 100-miles-per-hour.On Friday police say Richard Sherill began fleeing in Ohio on U.S. 50. The pursuit continued into the Bright area where Indiana State Police joined. Sherill forced other motorists off the road before crashing into a yard.Sherill complained of pain and was treated at a local hospital. He is charged with resisting law enforcement, criminal mischief, reckless driving, possession of marijuana with a prior conviction and criminal recklessness.last_img

Continue reading

Chamber: Don’t fall for unemployment scams

first_imgVERSAILLES, Ind. – The Ripley County Chamber of Commerce is reminding residents to not fall for scams when it comes to filing for unemployment.“It has been brought to our attention that people are, in error, going to fraudulent websites for unemployment,” said chamber executive director Deborah Tompkins.Click this link to be redirected to the correct website.This link directs the person to the Indiana Department of Workforce Development website where a person can file for unemployment, along with contact information, and a question and answer page.If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Chamber at (812) 689-6654 or email ripleycc@ripleycountychamber.org.last_img

Continue reading

Gov. DeSantis to allow pharmacists to “order and administer” coronavirus tests

first_imgOn Friday Gov. Ron DeSantis directed the state surgeon general “to allow licensed pharmacists in Florida to order and administer” coronavirus tests.DeSantis said he believes allowing pharmacists to administer tests will make testing for accessible for Floridians.The governor said he was still working out rules related to how many tests would be available at pharmacies and who will be allowed to be tested there.DeSantis also said that the state is looking at home tests that are currently being developed as a potential option to expand testing.last_img

Continue reading

Miami-Dade approves Equal Pay for Vendors

first_imgCommissioner Daniella Levine Cava spoke about the need for equal pay during a 2017 Women’s Equality Day event in August. Her legislation requiring County contractors to affirm they are complying with the Equal Pay Act was approved on Nov. 7. (Photo by Ryan Holloway / Miami-Dade County) Miami-Dade County Commissioners today approved legislation sponsored by Commissioner Daniella Levine Cava to help close the gender wage gap. The measure will require County contractors to sign an affidavit affirming that they are complying with the Equal Pay Act of 1963.Women living in povertyRoughly one in five women in Miami-Dade County live in poverty. If the wage gap were closed today, the poverty rate among women in our community would drop by more than half, according to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research.Pay employees fairly “By asking those who do business with the County to pledge to pay their employees fairly, independent of their gender, we are affirming our commitment to ending the wage gap,” said Commissioner Levine Cava. “Approval of this resolution helps us make Miami-Dade County the premier place for working women in America.”Sponsored ordinanceOne of the key findings of the Commission for Women’s 2016 Report on the Status of Women and Girls in Miami-Dade County is that women make 87 cents to every dollar a man earns. In 2015, Commissioner Levine Cava sponsored an ordinance adopting the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW). This ordinance, unanimously adopted by the County Commission, requires annual reports to be written and to provide benchmarks that can be used to measure the progress of issues affecting women, including issues related to equal pay.Commissioner Levine Cava said the single issue of the wage gap has far-reaching implications for quality of life in our community. In addition to reducing poverty, closing the local wage gap could provide the County with a competitive advantage economically by attracting and retaining talent needed to excel, promote healthier families, and make our community more vibrant, she said.For previous article regarding equal pay in Miami-Dade County, click the link: Report shows Miami-Dade women earn significantly less than menlast_img read more

Continue reading

Mark Cuban wants ‘White House protocol’ for testing before reopening Mavs’ facility

first_imgMark Cuban will only reopen the Mavericks’ facility when his players can be tested as frequently as White House officials are.The NBA was suspended in dramatic fashion on March 11 when it emerged Jazz center Rudy Gobert had tested positive for coronavirus. “And so they have access to the best science, the best information, and so it just makes sense to me that we just copy them.”Asked whether he was optimistic if such testing would be available “in a month, two months,” Cuban added: “Yes, absolutely.”I just trust American exceptionalism, entrepreneurialism spirit and capitalism. You know, we’ll figure out a way because we have to.” At the time, the Mavericks were playing the Nuggets, and Cuban learned of the suspension while he sat courtside during the game, with his stunned reaction going viral.MORE: Silver may decide on restart in 2-4 weeks, reports sayThe NBA is now considering plans to restart the 2019-20 regular season, which was close to a conclusion. A report Tuesday by The Associated Press suggested players overwhelmingly want to return if they can do so safely.The NBA has permitted practice facilities to reopen, provided they operate in states that have relaxed stay-at-home rulings, yet Cuban has insisted the Mavs’ complex will remain closed regardless of directives from Texas officials.To reopen it, Dallas’ owner wants his players to have access to the level of testing President Donald Trump and his senior advisers are afforded.”I’ll use the White House protocol,” Cuban told The Athletic.”The way the White House protects the president and vice president (Mike Pence) is the way that I want to protect our players and employees, you know? “We’ll just try to just copy what they do as a means of knowing when the time is right. As of now, for all we know, for all we’ve been informed, anyways, they’re testing everybody. And they test their top people on a daily basis.last_img read more

Continue reading

Mane steps out from Salah’s shadow to lead Liverpool’s double charge

first_img“My dream came true, to play for one of the biggest clubs in Europe with a great team, a great manager.”Porto are already very aware of the threat Mane poses.When the sides met in the last of the Champions League last season, he scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 first leg rout in northern Portugal that killed the tie as a contest even before it even returned to fortress Anfield.This time round, Liverpool will be keen to get the job done in the first leg on home soil.Klopp’s men have not made life easy for themselves in recent weeks on league duty, requiring late goals to see off Fulham, Tottenham and Southampton to keep their title dreams alive.However, just by keeping pace with quadruple chasing Manchester City all season, they have shown a maturity and mental strength that has evolved from the kamikaze matches that carried them to last season’s final.“The boys are mentality monsters – I love that,” said Klopp after victory at Southampton.Moreover, unlike when Sergio Ramos’s takedown of Salah seemed to suck belief from Liverpool against Madrid almost a year ago, they now have a cast of characters capable of stepping up.Goalkeeper Alisson Becker and talismanic centre-back Van Dijk have strengthened the defence.And, at the other end, Mane has shown he can be counted on at the business end of the season. Share on: WhatsApp Liverpool’s Senegalese striker Sadio Mane (L) and Liverpool’s Egyptian striker Mohamed Salah (R),Liverpool, United Kingdom | AFP | Sadio Mane has grown used to playing second fiddle to Mohamed Salah in the two seasons since the latter joined the Senegalese at Liverpool.However, the fact Jurgen Klopp’s men top the Premier League in their quest to end a 29-year wait to win the title and face Porto in the first leg of a Champions League quarter-final at Anfield on Tuesday, is largely thanks to Mane.As Salah’s goals dried up in an eight-game drought prior to Friday’s 3-1 win at Southampton, Mane assumed the mantle as chief goal getter with 11 in his last 13 Liverpool appearances taking his tally for the season to 20.That run included a double away to Bayern Munich last month that eased the five-time European champions past the German giants and eyeing another shot at Champions League glory.His first goal in particular at the Allianz Arena was a demonstration in the 26-year-old’s pace, skill and calmness in front of goal.Mane controlled a raking long pass from Virgil van Dijk, rounded Manuel Neuer and then dinked the ball into an unguarded net.“I’m going to have to watch back 500 times,” admitted Klopp after the game. “It’s astounding what he did.”Mane scored 10 Champions League goals in all last season, including in the final.However, his brave header in Kiev to bring Liverpool briefly level was quickly forgotten amid the furore over Salah’s early shoulder injury that saw him hobble off and aided Real Madrid’s route to a third straight European title.While Salah now carries himself with a swagger from the star status he has earned over the past two years, Mane’s humble nature means he often remains under the radar for a player of his quality.In September he was filmed helping to clean the toilets at his local mosque just hours after scoring in a vital away win at Leicester.Last week in an internal interview with Liverpool’s club media, he detailed a daily routine that consists of healthy eating, prayer and early nights.“That’s how a normal day for me looks. This is my dream, this is something I’ve always wanted to do, and I am so grateful that I am able to do it now,” he said.last_img read more

Continue reading

BUDDING SUPERSTAR UNIQUE BELLA DRILLS FIVE FURLONGS EARLY THURSDAY IN 1:00.20 ‘BREEZING’ FOR HOLLENDORFER IN PREPARATION FOR THE GRADE III SANTA YSABEL STAKES AT SANTA ANITA MARCH 4

first_imgARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 23, 2016)–Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer’s budding superstar filly Unique Bella was sent out for an impressive five furlong breeze in 1:00.20 “breezing” early Thursday morning as she prepares for what her connections hope will be her fourth consecutive win in the Grade III Santa Ysabel Stakes at 1 1/16 miles on March 4.A 3-year-old Kentucky-bred daughter of Tapit, Unique Bella came onto Santa Anita’s main track at 5:30 a.m. and went about her five furlong assignment without a hitch as she seeks to follow-up on a dazzling 8 ¾ length win here going a flat mile in the Grade II Las Virgenes Stakes on Feb. 5–which came on the heels of a 7 ½ length triumph in the Grade II Santa Ynez Stakes at seven furlongs Jan. 8.“She went very easy,” said Dan Ward, assistant to Hollendorfer.  “It was an easy work, like always.  She was nice and smooth and very relaxed.  Edgar (Rodriguez, regular exercise rider) has got her going off slow and coming home fast.  I see her getting more and more relaxed as time goes by.  We had her getting her last eighth in 11 and 4/5s.”Owned by Don Alberto Stable and ridden in all four of her career starts by Mike Smith, Unique Bella, who broke her maiden going 6 ½ furlongs in her second start on Nov. 26 at Del Mar, has won her last three races by a combined 16 ½ lengths and thus has many observers comparing her to her multiple Eclipse Award winning stablemate, Songbird, who lost by a nose to Beholder in an epic running of the Grade I Breeders’ Cup Distaff here on Nov. 4 and was subsequently named America’s Champion 3-year-old Filly.Although long range plans for Unique Bella have not been announced, Hollendorfer said following her win in the Las Virgenes that short range objectives call for her to stay with her gender and run in the Grade I Santa Anita Oaks on April 8 and in the Grade I Kentucky Oaks on May 5.XBTV VIDEO LINK: http://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/unique-bella-worked-5-furlongs-in-100-20-at-santa-anita-park-on-february-23th-2017/last_img read more

Continue reading